Join the Philadelphia Orchard Project (P.O.P.) for the third session of their POPCORE urban orchardist training course. This workshop will explore harvesting and use of orchard fruits, herbs, and mushrooms. Classroom session starts at 6pm, preceded by optional wild edibles walk (4pm) and community potluck (5pm).
POP CORE trainings combine many elements of orchard stewardship, ecosystem design and food uses that Philadelphia Orchard Project (P.O.P.) has learned over the past ten years. This four-part series is intended to grow the knowledge, skillset, and self-reliance of our community orchard partners and volunteers, resulting in happier, healthier, and more productive community orchards. Those completing all four classes over any two year period will receive POPCORE Urban Orchardist Certification.
Space is limited; pre-registration required.
Details on this session:
POPCORE 3 – Plants, Fungi and What to Do with Them – with Alyssa Schimmel and POP staff
- 4pm – 5pm: Early Spring Wild Edibles Walk (weather permitting)
- 5pm – 6pm: Community Potluck and Food Culture Share
- 6pm – 8pm: In-class Workshop
- When and how to harvest fruits
- Low-maintenance, high yield food plants
- Perennial medicinal and culinary herbs for the Philly climate
- Edible and soil-building fungi for the orchard
- Sample polycultures
- Sample perennial edibles recipes – cider, fermentation, jams, jellies, green
Bartram’s Garden Members $20.00
General Public $30.00
No one turned away for lack of funds.