Mission + Vision
Connect. Learn. Be inspired.
Bartram’s Garden is a 45-acre National Historic Landmark, operated by the John Bartram Association in cooperation with Philadelphia Parks and Recreation. It is a destination and an outdoor classroom, living laboratory, and membership organization for ever-expanding audiences―over 95,000 each year and counting.
We invite you to come here to learn, connect, celebrate, and discover a shared, greener future!
The John Bartram Association’s mission is to protect and enhance the landmark Bartram’s Garden and House; advance the Bartram legacy of discovery, gardening, and art; and inspire audiences of all ages to care for the natural world.
In March 2017, the Board of the John Bartram Association approved River Garden Vision 2025, an ambitious strategic and master site plan that establishes five priorities for a sustainable future:
- Horticulture: Carrying on our botanical heritage, leading the way in the propagation of the Bartram plant collection, and reestablishing healthy land and river ecosystems to showcase best practices in conservation and watershed management.
- History: Balancing preservation with access, preserving and protecting our historic and natural resources to the highest level of stewardship, while demonstrating the relevance of the Bartram legacy in a 21st century urban riverfront community.
- Community and Education: Engaging and empowering our stakeholders through site-based educational programs and personal experiences that draw inspiration from the Bartram traditions of curiosity, natural wonder, and self-learning.
- Agriculture and Food Sovereignty: Foster cultural exchange in our neighborhood using our roots in farming to explore food culture, deepen our community’s relationship with the land, their food, and each other, providing an inclusive and welcoming place for people to develop tools for self-reliance through food sovereignty.
- Enduring Sustainability: Sharing a love of nature with generations to come by building capacity and leadership through collaboration, innovation, and the advancement of our vision as a premier urban river garden.
River Garden Vision 2025