Owing to bridge construction on Woodland Avenue, street traffic and trolleys in Southwest Philadelphia will be detoured until June 2019.
Bartram’s Garden remains easily accessible by public transit, car, and bicycle. Please see below for detour directions, or contact SEPTA for more information.
Allow additional travel time.
By Public Transportation
Take the Trolley
The #36 trolley stops at the Bartram’s Garden driveway at 54th Street and Lindbergh Boulevard.
DETOUR ALERT: Currently there are no #36 Trollies to Bartram’s Garden. Owing to bridge construction and track repair, a #36 shuttle bus will replace the trolley for all traffic west of 40th Street until June 2018. The #36 trolley will return in summer 2018 on a detour route until June 2019.
Coming westbound from City Hall:
- Take a #11, #13, #34, or #36 trolley to 40th Street.
- DETOUR ALERT: Currently there are no #36 Trollies to Bartram’s Garden.At the 40th Street portal, disembark from any trolley to board a #36 shuttle bus. No additional fare is needed.
- Get off at the northeast corner of 54th and Lindbergh Boulevard.
- Cross Lindbergh and walk west over the railroad bridge; the Garden entrance will be on the left. Come down our long driveway and you’ll find the Welcome Center.
Coming eastbound from Eastwick:
- Get off at the southwest corner of 54th and Lindbergh.
- Turn right into our long driveway and come straight down until you reach the Welcome Center.
DETOUR ALERT: Owing to bridge construction, Woodland Avenue is closed to street traffic between 47th Street and 49th Street until June 2019. Cyclists may divert to Paschall Avenue or Kingsessing Avenue.
The Bicycle Coalition offers a bike map to Bartram’s Garden, courtesy of Google maps.
When you arrive at the Garden, come down our long driveway to the Welcome Center. Bike racks are available across from the Welcome Center and near the administration building.
When the Schuylkill River Trail is completed in 2019, you will be able to ride, walk, and jog directly from Center City to the Garden.
Bartram’s Garden is located less than 15 minutes from Center City Philadelphia, is convenient to I-76 (Schuylkill Expressway) and I-95 and accessible by public transportation. Free parking is available in our visitor parking lot.
To navigate using GPS, use the address “5400 Lindbergh Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA.”
From the West via 76 (Schuylkill Expressway)
- Travel 76 East to Exit 346B: University Ave and Grays Ferry Ave. Bear left while on exit ramp.
- Turn left at the traffic light at the end of the ramp onto University Avenue/34th Street.
- Turn right at next light onto Gray’s Ferry Avenue. Get into the left lane as you go over the big bridge that spans the Schuylkill River. There is a traffic light at the end of the bridge.
- Turn left onto Paschall Avenue at that light.
- Turn left at next light onto 49th Street.
- Bear left when 49th Street splits. This is when 49th Street turns into Lindbergh Boulevard.
- Stay straight through the traffic light at Lindbergh and 54th Street. Cross small railroad bridge.
- Turn left at our entrance shortly after the light.
- Stay straight down our long driveway until it dead ends. Turn left and park in the visitor lot.
From Center City
Take 23rd Street south below Market Street and merge right onto Gray’s Ferry Avenue just beyond South Street, then follow the directions above.
From Delaware, the Blue Route (476) and points South via I-95 North
- Follow I-95N past Philadelphia International Airport.
- Take Exit 13, Central Philadelphia, 76/291 West, and continually keep to right.
- Take exit for 291 West. Turn right on to Island Avenue and stay right.
- Cross under highway and turn right at light on Bartram Avenue and left at second light on to Essington Avenue.
- Proceed straight on Essington and turn left at first light on 70th Street.
- Go straight and turn right at next light on to Lindbergh Boulevard.
- Follow Lindbergh Boulevard to Garden entrance on right just after Elmwood Avenue joins with Lindbergh.
From New Jersey and points North via I-95 South
Follow I-95S past Center City. Take Exit 14, Bartram Avenue, and proceed to second light at Essington Avenue. Turn right and follow directions above.